Re: Specs for documentation projects?

Subject: Re: Specs for documentation projects?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:48:24 -0700 (PDT)

Anthony:

Hackos gives credit in the preface of one of her most
popular books (I think the one on TW project
management) to Ed Yourdon - a true visionary in
software spec writing.

I think she sees what I and some other TWs see: Task
analysis = ESSENTIAL systems analysis - Please,
PUH-LEASE no comments about how systems analysis is
some sort of computer focused thing.

Hacko's approach vs Yourdon's approach in a nutshell:

* Hackos: Bottom-up, much less emphasis on
modeling, heavy end-user involvement, task analyst
listens alot to end-user and says "uh hu". Includes
focus on end-user-related things broader than just the
task at hand: things such as learning preferences and
user environment.

* Yourdon: Top-down, heavy into rigorous modeling,
heavy end-user involvement; systems analyst, in
addition to doing alot of listening, the analyst much
more often "takes the bull by the horns" in the
interaction and says "Well let me ask you this.".
Much less focus on end-user-related things other than
the task at hand. May consider internal software
functionality.

AJ Markos
Focused On the Essential Like A Laser!

> Anthony Hernandez wondered: << Is there a process
> for documentaiton
> projects similar to writing specs for software; a
> process for spelling
> out the purpose of the documentaton, intended
> audience, etc?>>

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com