RE: Is RoboHelp still a viable way to go for help?

Subject: RE: Is RoboHelp still a viable way to go for help?
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjt -at- helpstuff -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:04:30 -0400

> >Macromedia laid off the RoboHelp development team.
> >
> Is there any documented evidence of this?

http://www.writersua.com/articles/rh/index.html (scroll down to "Why do I
think RoboHelp has been 'sunset'?")

http://www.techrl-l.com/techwhirl/archives/0504/techwhirl-0504-00569.html

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200506/ij_06_28_05a.html

> >Macromedia is not offering support contracts on the product.
> >
> Buy a support contract here:
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/programs/rh_silver.html

Macromedia is still selling support plans. That said, they have modified
them for RoboHelp...they no longer include upgrades.

> >Are
> >Macromedia still selling the product?
> >

> Buy RoboHelp here:
> http://www.macromedia.com/software/robohelp/

Macromedia is more than happy to sell you RoboHelp, if you want to buy it.
However, a) there is no development team left, b) according to posts on
other lists, most of the time support either doesn't know the answers or
doesn't return emails, c) Adobe and Macromedia are scheduled to merge later
this year, and no one knows what will happen at that time.

> I've never been much of a RoboHelp fan, on the contrary, but
> it appears that rumours of its demise are greatly exaggerated.

I don't agree. The rumors have been around for awhile...now there are facts
to back them up.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly with business inquiries or comments.
2004-2005 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com