Re: Any open source help software tools?

Subject: Re: Any open source help software tools?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:13:17 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Lawrence wrote:
> Docbook can output lots of help formats that include full-text
> search, including .chm. JavaHelp and OracleHelp also have
> full-text search, and I believe Eclipse Help has that as well.
> The DITA tools can do that as well.

There is a distinction here. So far, I haven't found any transformation
tools that add a keyword index and search tools to DocBook HTML output,
in the same way that RoboHelp does for WebHelp.

True, DocBook/DITA can produce HTML suitable for full-text search by
other platforms like CHM, Eclipse, or Java controls. But RoboHelp's
WebHelp output includes an integrated FTS index and javascript search
tools, all generated during the RoboHelp build process.

In the long run, desktop search tools might make this distinction moot.

Mike O.

http://mail.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com