Re: Current Online Help Tool of Choice?

Subject: Re: Current Online Help Tool of Choice?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:28:04 -0400

> here's a link to some interesting developments:
>
> http://help.robohelp.com/RoboHTML/Whats_new_in_this_release.htm

It appears to be a typo. The Help system it's from has a 2004 copyright.

> So what's up with this? I've heard that Macromedia was scrapping
> RoboHelp but these descriptions of new product features in X6 suggest
> otherwise. But that could all be on hold because of the merger with
> Adobe.

Unless they rehired a development staff, I can't see how RoboHelp's
development survived the spring.

> With all of the new security being imposed on browsers (XP sp2 and
> .chm) and plugins (Flash Reader 8), it's hard to predict which types
> of help formats will be easily accessible to our users. I think we, as
> tech writers should be very concerned that these decisions are being
> made by corporate types who don't appreciate user needs.

I think we, as tech writers, should validate why these decisions are
being made before we assume it's because corporate types don't care
about user needs.

> I was never a Flash evangelist, but it seems to me that right now
> Flash has the best development basis to provide secure access to
> media-rich help files. Attached is a technical doc about where Flash
> is heading. At least they're dealing with it. Personally, I hope they
> bring us into their fold. But they won't do it unless we keep after
> them.

I have no idea what you mean by "bring us into their fold". Flash has
been around for quite some time and has been a tool used by tech
writers since its debut.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736