Re: Online Help for Web Portal

Subject: Re: Online Help for Web Portal
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:00:16 -0700

Hemang Antani wrote:

- Look and Feel: Either simple black and white or same as the portal.

I'd quibble only with this point.

I once edited and indexed the help system for a nifty portal, which used a four-tab interface for the different "modules." Each of the four tabs had its own color theme, to very pleasing effect. The help icon opened another window, also with a four-tab arrangement.

The four tabs in the help didn't correspond to the app's tabs, though. (You'll have to take my word that that was a good and appropriate design, as the portal's no longer on the web.) Instead, the help tags provided different kinds of information--overviews, how-to's, definitions (explaining the jargon was one of the portal's purposes), and index--with a mini-TOC at the top of each (except the index, of course).

Each of the help tabs also had a color theme; they didn't match the app's colors exactly, but complimented them nicely.

One of the nicest help systems I've ever worked on...and definitely the prettiest!

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com