RE: page numbering

Subject: RE: page numbering
From: "Rob Domaschuk" <rdomaschuk -at- printable -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:29:01 -0500

Juliet asks:

> Is there an industry convention for this?

Nope - to which the "soon to be multitude of replies" will attest.

Personally, I *used* to have my introduction chapter start with the Roman numeral i and the meat of the document start at page 1. I usually leave the page number off of the first page of each chapter, so the very first Latin numeral people would see would be "2". I never numbered my ToC, index, cover page, license page, etc.

Of course that was when I assumed everyone immediately printed the doc (or - remember this?? - products would ship WITH printed doc). Looked nice, looked professional, and never heard complaints.

Of course, that was THEN, this is NOW.

Since we ship all our doc as PDF files, I now number everything starting from the very first page - the cover. Even though I don't display a page number, I include it in the sequencing. The reason is that my page numbers then line up with the page numbers of the PDF (in Acrobat).

In other words, if my ToC says to go to page 56, then they can use the scroll bar to immediately find page 56. Also, if they want to print a particular section (the ToC says the section is pages 45-70) then they can use the Page Range box of the Print dialog without having to confirm that the page numbers in the file are in sync with the PDF page numbers.

Just my two cents.

- Rob

Rob Domaschuk,
Training and Communications Developer
Printable Technologies, Inc. * 312.853.8337

www.Printable.com

"The compelling force of all times has
been the force of originality and creation."
- Ansel Adams

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com