RE: Manuals in InDesign

Subject: RE: Manuals in InDesign
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:48:30 -0400

Peter said...

> There's another thread on this list that describes some of the
> well-known shortcomings of InDesign vs. FrameMaker, for authoring
> technical publications.
>
> If you could share any compelling reasons you have for considering
> InDesign for your layout needs, perhaps folks on this list can respond
> with suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter Gold
> KnowHow ProServices

I stated in response to an earlier post that our shop uses Adobe
Creative Suite 2 Premium for creating our documentation and that I
appreciated the way it allows such easy combination of graphics from
PhotoShop and Illustrator when doing page layout and building documents
in InDesign. Our documentation is heavy with graphics (photos, vector
graphics, and schematics created in other programs like Visio) so we
need something that easily allows you to manage and manipulate layers of
text, graphics, and design elements that may span pages and may include
watermarks and bleeds.

Prior to coming to this job I had limited experience with InDesign,
substantial experience with PageMaker, Photoshop, and Illustrator, and
only worked with FrameMaker briefly, and that was a long time ago in a
galaxy far, far away.

Previously I had done most of my documentation work in MS Word, and I
find InDesign superior in almost every respect (especially because it
lets ME determine what the output looks like from the template and
master pages I create instead of running back to "normal.dot" regardless
of what template I tell it I want to use....rrrrrggggggg!)

In the future our group is supposed to do more work with interactive
documentation (read online help) and I believe the inclusion of GoLive
was another factor in management's decision to use CS2 as the
"comprehensive" documentation solution.

Also, as I stated previously, when I first saw the literature for
Creative Suite while working at a previous employer, Adobe strongly
implied that eventually both PageMaker and FrameMaker would be absorbed
into InDesign and that would be the single page layout solution they
would offer to compete with Word, Quark, and other professional-grade
publishing software.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com