RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Ha! Anyone who thinks that John "FrameMaker Chauvinist" Posada is
> an MS shill has not been reading TECHWR-L for very long.

That's exactly what rubs me the wrong way. To the vocal fanatics in
the OS camp, its a knee-jerk reaction that any criticism of an OS
software is a criticism of the OS philosophy...and lets face it, to
them, the philosphy IS purely anti-MS. It isn't software...it's
religion.

I saw it here. I was the first out of the gate with why I, as a list
member, am not drawn to OS, and the immediate next response was to
the OS defense.

I hate to say this, but I should be an OS advocate.

- I can install anything on my machine...I have full rights and my
department condones trying new stuff.
- Our department has two admin support techs just for our
department..I need tech assistance, I call over the cubicle wall.
- From 2/22/05 when I started, to now, I've recommended and had
approved almost $8,000 of technical writing or supporting software
purchased.
- The company in which this sw is being installed has 600 offices in
120 contries, with 50,000+ employees. The word about good software
spreads fast.
- I buy, with my own money, maybe $100 per month of plugins,
utilities, and one-time-use shareware.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than