Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: Siliconwriter <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:23:43 -0700

Okay, I've been using OpenOffice.org for four days now, after downloading it and installing it on both Windows 2000 Pro and Mac OS 10.4. So far, it's doing everything I need to do for my work. I've made the tables, index, table of contents, and captions I need to. It loads quickly, and even in the Mac version the controls are "intuitive" enough that I found it easy to learn and use. The fact that it DOES imitate the Word interface so closely makes it actually faster to learn. One only has to identify those features which are invoked differently and account for that. Oh, and the thesaurus feature is, IMO, better than Word's.

I am prepared to suggest to my manager that we switch to this program for our next project, which is an update of an SDK written in Word. As our company writes software for the Linux platform, open-source software may get a better reception than at most companies. One of the chief features I like about OpenOffice is that its files are XML based; most of our developers use XML on a daily basis. I think that will make it more acceptable to our developers when they write technical notes. I believe that working with more XML files will enhance our ability to single-source our APIs to HTML, print and PDF. That, and the absolute compatibility between a platforms: Linux to Mac to Windows.

Does anyone have any experience pitching a software change like this to management? More importantly, how did your SMEs/developers react? What concerns did they raise? I'd like to anticipate any concerns and address them.

Thanks all, and especially to Bruce for raising this question.

Sarah

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com