RE: Where do you place the Glossary hyperlink? Phase 2 question

Subject: RE: Where do you place the Glossary hyperlink? Phase 2 question
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:27:52 -0700 (PDT)

> That's why we designed Doc-To-Help to automatically create the
> glossary popup link to the first occurrence of the term after
> each heading (i.e. in each topic in Help).

Good to hear that.

Now, a followup question.

In addition to placing a glossary link in the first instance of the
term, I place a link to a data dictionary page from each mention of a
database/stored proc/asp/dll/com/etc.

The developers love this. They can read a paragraph decribing how an
element is used, then click on it to see the "guts" of it.

However, some descriptions refer to the same element more than once
in a paragraph. An example might be:

"The "XX_source" table has a related "XX_archive" table where a copy
of the entity record is moved from the "XX_source" table to the
"XX_archive" table once the status reaches status 6 (deployed)."

Note...the text, while based on real content, has been whacked down
in size, so if the composition seems odd, it isn't as odd in the real
content.

In the above, if they click on "XX_source" or "XX_archive", they are
linked to the page in the data dictionary that exposes the complete
structure of the table (columns, SPs, Indexes, views, triggers, etc.)

In this case, I make EVERY instance hyperlinked because I cannot
control when the developer is going to want to see the internals and
I don't want him having to backtrack each instance to find the linked
instance. it may not be until the third or fourth time an element is
mentioned that he says "Hmmm...I gotta see this thing.", and I want
the link to be available to him at that moment.

Does anyone have strong feelings about how, in this case, I link
every mention, even if it is multiple times in a paragraph?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than
anybody else has."