Re: PDF to Word conversion tools

Subject: Re: PDF to Word conversion tools
From: "Hughes, Linda" <Linda -dot- Hughes -at- respironics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:24:03 -0400

Hi, uh... mandalyn:

You might try looking into Gemini Solo, from Iceni. We used the product
a few years ago to convert a large number of PDF manuals to rtf, then
bring them into Frame. It worked well, had considerable flexibility with
selecting text flow, even does a decent job with tables and graphics.
I'm sure improvements have been made since.

Here's a link - http://www.iceni.com/content/Gemini/

As an aside--and in case anyone out there works for Iceni--I found the
User Manual to be excellent. Clearly written, and dead honest about both
the strengths and the weaknesses of the product. Now that was
refreshing.

Linda

<snip>

Subject: PDF to Word conversion tools
From: mandalynw -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:40:02 -0600

Today I've been researching software to convert PDF to Word/RTF. I'm
looking for the tool that that will provide the cleanest output. I've
done
several trial runs today, and thought the list might be interested in my
findings. I'd also like to ask for opinions on your favorite tool. I was
unable to evaluate ScanSoft, so if anyone has feedback on its output,
I'd
appreciate it. Please no comments on why it is a bad idea to convert
from
PDF -- a Very Large Client is dictating the workflow on this project.

Here is what I've found so far, converting a PDF that was originally
created in FrameMaker to MS Word format...

</snip>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message, together with any attachments, may be legally privileged
and is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. It is exempt from
disclosure under applicable law including court orders. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this message, or any attachment,
please notify the original sender and delete this message, along with
any attachments, from your computer.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com