Re: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...

Subject: Re: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:39:44 -0400

My advice is to start by focusing on your certificate and not on
learning tools. Yo uvery well may learn tools in the course of getting
the certificate.

Tools is holy wars territory - everyone uses a different set, and
everyone is positive theirs is the best choice.

I think it'd be to your benefit to focus more on content development
processes, markup and structuring concepts (HTML, XML, MAML, etc.),
workflows (single-source documentation development, database
approaches, stand-alone authoring concepts, etc.), and design/layout,
with possible inclusion of printing process.

Tools can be picked up and applied fairly easily when you have the
conceptual knowledge behind you.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736