Re: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...

Subject: Re: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...
From: Sankara R <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:47:07 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to step back to the thread on open
tools for documentation.

The deal with open software is that functionality
is of prime concern, and noone has time or
inclination to add bells and whistles.

> with Inkscape, a free, open-source vector
> illustrator. If The GIMP
> replaces PhotoShop (and it does, if you'll let
> it),

So mega-corps, who don't mind a few hundred bucks
going here or there will prefer a tool that has
all manner of features, just in case, than let
you GIMP it. That is my guess.

> Inkscape
> replaces Illustrator. The tutorials included
> with Inkscape are
> breathtaking, in spots.

In spots, unfortunately.

It's a case of just-in-time vs. just-in-case
features. It works for geeks, who can adopt an
open tool, and add what they need when the case
is reported.

If a concerted effort is made, other spots can be
covered and open graphic tools can take care of
all (just in) cases. I sure hope so.

But then, in the documentation space, surely XML
is going to rule the roost. It will also help you
understand programs and UI better, where
increasingly XML is used to query and all that.

Thanks and regards,
Sankara S Rajanala
Citec Information
+91 9886312366
Writing is getting used to being humiliated.
Tama Janowitz

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com