Re: Technical writing in the legal field?

Subject: Re: Technical writing in the legal field?
From: Susan Salituro <susansls -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:19:56 -1000

You might also consider patent writing. I talked with a patent attorney about a year ago about the process of applying for patents. He said that you actually don't need to pass the bar to simply write patents--his office often employs "patent writers" who do the bulk of the writing work, while he deals with the legal aspects. These patent writers only need to pass an exam that shows they have a basic understanding of patent law. He said that the cost of the required courses in our area (Honolulu) would only be about $3000.

Sorry I don't have more detail--I never really had an interest in pursuing the topic further. But patents are essentially technical documents that are far too often written in legalese--a professional tech writer should be able to do a great deal of good in this field. :-)

--
Susan Salituro

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com