RE: Font required to display Hindi characters

Subject: RE: Font required to display Hindi characters
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:03:39 -0500

Hopefully, you will get more informative solutions and advice (more
informative than whatever stuff I can contribute regarding this matter,
that is). Regarding Hindi's computer fonts, I think that it is a
different animal somehow but I can't remember how. And I don't believe
that it is classified as an East Asian language.
For example, you say that Arabic, Thai, Korean, Chinese and Japanese
display correctly. These 5 languages are non-Indo-European. But there
are differences in their written systems. Arabic, Thai and Korean have a
phonetic transcription (what you see relates to what you say). Chinese
writing (and how it displays on the computer) is pictographic (what you
see relates to what elements there are to the little picture). Japanese
uses both a Chinese system and a phonetic system at the same time.
Hindi I think is an Indo-european language, and I believe that its
writing system is basically phonetic, but there might be something
unusual about its writing system. This might be the reason for your
difficulty in getting it to display properly. However, many many people
do indeed get it to display properly.

Jim Jones http://www.tinyurl.com

... translation of both user interface and Help into several languages.
For our next release we are including Hindi...which presents me with a
problem, as everything coming back...appearing as gibberish....I can't
get it to display correctly...Windows XP Pro...all the supplemental
language support (complex script, right-to-left, East Asian languages)
via the
Control Panel. Arabic, Thai, Korean, Chinese and Japanese all appear
with no problems...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com