Re: Generating documentation from Oracle database schemas

Subject: Re: Generating documentation from Oracle database schemas
From: jguptactoc -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:41:06 -0600

It's tough to draw database schemas from a set of existing tables. If you
haven't already, you should consider familiarizing yourself with the ER
(entity-relationship) method of describing relationships b/t tables. It's
simple to learn, and there are a lot of good descriptions of it on the
web.

Have you considered using TOAD - Tools for Oracle Development? It's a GUI
that interfaces with an Oracle Database. You can easily view schemas,
write queries, etc. I loved it when I was using it.

You may be able to import all of your database tables and relationships
into TOAD from an existing Oracle DB. Then, you may be able to import the
tables from TOAD into ERWin or some other ER modeler, which in turn, would
build a schema for you. I say "may be" b/c it's a little backwards to push
metadata (like table definitions and relationships) from an existing
database to an ER modeler. Typically, you would build the metadata in
ERwin and then set up a database by pushing the metadata into TOAD or
Oracle.

HTH,
Jyoti Gupta

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com