RE: best approach to learning HTML...

Subject: RE: best approach to learning HTML...
From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:13:41 -0400

> On Friday 09 September 2005 15:03, Hiking Nut wrote:
> > Can someone give me their opinion on this? I've heard from a few
> > people that as a tech writer, it's good to know HTML. My
> question is
> > this - is it better to start off learning how to code
> manually, then
> > start using a "real" HTML editor like Dreamweaver, or is it best to
> > just use something like Dreamweaver from the start?

Learn to use TextPad before you learn to use Dreamweaver or other HTML
editor. It will ultimately make your understanding much deeper and you
will be more productive with professional editors.

One other thing... when you go to the bookstore to pick out an HTML
book, grab a nice JavaScript introduction too. You really should learn
them at the same time. Most folks start off learning HTML and then
"graduate" to JavaScript, and I think that doing so ultimately slows
them down because of the different paradigm.

Matthew Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
Macromedia

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com