Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers Should Know About Open Source Technologies

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers Should Know About Open Source Technologies
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:56:18 -0700

From my point of view, this is the big issue. The tools we use
to create documents are just that, tools. Our objective as far
as they are concerned is to get the most function out of them for the least amount of time and effort, so we can maximize time
and effort we devote to doing our real work, researching and
documenting our company's products and processes. The
building contractors who maintain our HVAC system and keep
the toilets from backing up don't have to spend hours on the job
or off designing, redesigning, building and rebuilding the power
screwdrivers, wrenches, snakes, etc., that they use in their work.
I don't expect to do that for my tools, either. My company isn't
paying me to do that, and I'm not paying my writers to do it either.
At home, I may be willing to putter around with some freeware or
open source tool for transferring my old LPs and photo albums
onto CDs and DVDs; if I'm doing that for a living, I expect to have a putter-free tool, and to pay for it. I've yet to see a "free"
tool that did anything complicated that didn't end up costing more
in employee puttering hours than it saved in price (including several
that our IT group have implemented to "save money" because there
wasn't budget to buy commercial ones). I'm not saying it can't be
done. Just that so far, I haven't seen it done.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>

Anyway, the point is: if you're going to use Linux or other open source
software, you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty in a way that
you're not used to.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com