Help with Selection of DTP Tools Based on Current Versions (Long)

Subject: Help with Selection of DTP Tools Based on Current Versions (Long)
From: "K. Jafry" <khairujafry -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:08:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi I?m new to the list and really need some help on
DTP tools. I need to give management an overview of
Frame vs. Quark vs. Ventura vs. InDesign for our
documents. I am new to the company and they currently
use Word. They want to move to a new software and have
asked for my thoughts (I?ve mostly used Frame before).
So I decided to look on this site for help. However,
after reading many of the threads, I?m even more
confused.

I had decided on Frame, but then I was told that
because of the upgrades to Quark, Quark now does
everything Frame can and it?s easier to use and learn.
Then I?ve read that InDesign also has a lot of
capabilities and may eventually replace Frame. I
haven?t been able to get too much information from
users on Ventura, but have read reviews that it?s just
as good as Frame, but a lot easier to use.

I realize that the tool we need to use depends on the
type document we will be creating. Our documents are
65 -100 pages with a couple of photographs (jpgs) on
each page, but we also have some larger documents
(200- 300 pages). Some of our requirements include
ability to create some sort of Master Document with
all the styles set and then import any new styles to
existing documents, capabilities of going online in
the future, output to pdf, and conversion of documents
from Word. Also, the reviewers will not have the DTP
software installed, so we?ll need a way for them to
review the documents.

Since many of the comments I?ve read are older, I
wanted to get a better comparison based on current
versions. Without starting a debate, I just want to
know if there is any reason why I should not pick
Frame over the others, especially Quark (since the
other writers in the company are familiar with Quark).
Please respond to me directly. Thank you.

K. Jafry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com