Re: All caps for UNIX (for no good reason)

Subject: Re: All caps for UNIX (for no good reason)
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:21:12 -0500

There are many apocryphal stories around. As far as I know, the
original developers have not said why they did it as they did.

However, the initial documents were not in small caps but in the real,
genuine article. That is how the original copyright documents had it
when they were filed by Bell Labs.

David

On 9/19/05, nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il> wrote:

> At the time, as the story goes, the capability
> of small caps had just been introduced to the
> digital world. Swept along on a wave of enthusiasm,
> the inventors of UNIX decided that the name would
> appear in small caps. I suppose this does not
> fall outside the scope of "no good reason."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com