RE: Log In or Login?

Subject: RE: Log In or Login?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:31:11 -0400

Rebecca Hopkins asked...

> Folks,
>
> Which do you use, "log in page" or "login page"?
> -----
> Rebecca

We just had a discussion about this topic in our group last week. Our
decision was this:

When used as a VERB: "Log in to the XYZ application." (2 words).

When used as an ADJECTIVE: "Enter your login name at the prompt." (1
word).

In the case of your example, our rule would suggest using it as one
word, "login."

The same method can be applied to "setup" and "set up," "logout" and
"log out," and any number of other similar terms/phrases.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com