Re: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?

Subject: Re: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:46:57 -0500

Amy,

For better or worse, in most cases a smaller company can't match many
of the support services that may be taken for granted in a large
organization.

Whether the other rewards are sufficient to lure you away from the
boring work and the unfortunate commute becomes an individual
decision, of course.

The pay cut may be a good way to negotiate some sort of additional
attractiveness with the move--I know one person who had a very similar
situation, and simply negotiated an extra day off per week for the
money being offered! Of course, he is also a very effective worker who
tends to get a great deal done in less time than most.

Another possibility is to negotiate either some sort of
performance-based bonus or perhaps stock options.

Good luck whatever you do.

David

On 9/21/05, Amy P. <amydetroit -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I'm currently making an excellent wage at a big corporation. Nice
> people. Modern environment. Shitty commute. B-o-r-i-n-g work (maybe
> it all gets boring once you figure it out).
>
> I'm being offered a position in a smaller office setting with 1980s
> decor and a beautiful commute through trees instead of construction
> and blight. The company is developing new scientific instrumentation
> that seems to be cutting edge, highly technical, and doing well.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com