RE: Resume Services

Subject: RE: Resume Services
From: "Gale Stafford" <gstafford -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:35:45 -0500

I've never tried a professional resume service, as I'm more of a
do-it-yourselfer when it comes to marketing myself. If you do it yourself,
you learn a lot more in the process. Most of us could use serious
improvement in our marketing skills, IMO.

Here is what has worked for me in improving my resume: Get a good book or
two. A couple of useful ones in my library at home are "Don't Send a Resume"
by Jeffrey J Fox (don't be misled by the title; it actually has lot of tips
for improving your resume) and "Expert Resumes for Computer and Web Jobs" by
Enelow and Kursmark. And follow the advice in the book(s). Make sure to
revise and fine tune until your resume is really looking sweet. I usually go
through a few drafts with revisions until I get it just right.

Also, customize and tailor your resume for each job you're applying for. For
more ideas along this line, read "Don't Send a Resume"; however there's a
problem with the book: it is really geared towards those applying for jobs
in the private sector. Though, you can still adapt *most* of the author's
advice towards applying for *any* sort of job.

Good luck!
Gale

~~~
Gale Stafford Consulting