Re: "a SQL sever" vs "an SQL server"

Subject: Re: "a SQL sever" vs "an SQL server"
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:01:14 -0400

I don't think so.

When you read an address out loud, you don't pronounce St. as "sssst"
or Rd. as "Rrrrd,"
you say the word the abbreviation represents -- "street" or "road."

And in this case, "represents" is the operative verb because abbreviations and
acronyms do, indeed, represent the root phrase or words. Therefore the
article should
agree with the root phrase or words.

Art

On 9/22/05, Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com> wrote:

> The article must align with the abbreviated form, not the phrase the
> form stands in for, because the form of the article is determined by
> sound.
<snip>

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com