RE: Adobe Acrobat 6.0 VS WORD 2003

Subject: RE: Adobe Acrobat 6.0 VS WORD 2003
From: "Donald H. White" <trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:13:03 -0400

Peggy,

Unless the author invoked security on the PDF documents to restrict or
prevent copying, you can copy and paste the text from the PDF to a Word
file. However, the formatting will not transfer and each line will come
across as a distinct line, not a text-wrapped paragraph.

I don't have Office 2003, so I don't know a thing about the password
security used by the most current version of Word. In Office 2002 and
earlier, the password was often easily circumvented and, when it wasn't, it
was a real dog to use in a collaborative environment. Adding redlines to a
password-protected Word file can be problematic, in other words. At least,
with the former versions.

As for the use of PDF, I think that its best use is for documents that are
placed on the Web or a corporate intranet for others to use. PDF does
enforce data integrity, but the main reason for using it--I think--is that
it is global. Users don't have to have the same version of the word
processing application (Word 97? Word 2003?) to view and use the material.
Using the PDF settings in Distiller, you can set up Acrobat to produce a
file that will be read by anyone who has Reader version 3.0 or later.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. Hope they help.

Sincerely,

Donald H. White
Senior Technical Writer/Editor
James River Technical Communications LLC
804.795.2914
dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com
www.jrtcllc.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com