Re: Linking to online help topic

Subject: Re: Linking to online help topic
From: Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:44:36 -0700

Char,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Someone off-list filled me in on this missing piece as well. It all comes down to context, doesn't it? (And not alone in help!) I figured I might well be missing information, since I don't have a good grasp of the underlying technologies for online help. I've written it, I edit it, but I've never had to do anything more than follow simple instructions, already in place, for building it.

But if I, in my ignorance, had posted what I thought to be a clear and complete question, I would have been mortified by a response that seemed only to cut me. And I would likely be timid about seeking advice on that list again. (No loss to the list, perhaps, but I would have been left with the wrong impression of the community.) In posting a question, if ever I left out pertinent details, it would not be deliberate, but would point to some lapse in my thinking at that moment or to some deficiency in my own understanding of the issue. I would always intend to supply the necessary context. I would assume the same in others.

However, none of this is to argue for prolonging the conversation on this point. Clearly, those who understood the nature of the necessary information omitted in the original question and those who knew the original responder understood the situation differently. I am glad to have my own understanding corrected, and I am glad to have learned a little about the mysteries of help technologies.

And, in the interests of full disclosure, I should note that in a prolonged debate, I am not above becoming heated, particularly on issues I've given a good deal of thought to over the years. So, I'm no saint. And I wouldn't want anyone to interpret my response here as a claim that I am ever and always even-tempered, regardless of circumstance. (But I generally have to work up to becoming testy . . . . :)

Odile,
hearing nothing but thoughtful responses, feeling nothing but perfect equanimity . . . lest anyone (since I am a near-unknown on the list) wonder

At 11:16 AM -0400 9/23/05, Char James-Tanny wrote:

Hi, Odile :-)

I thought Bill's post was abrupt, but not rude. The missing piece is
*which* Help format she is publishing (as other posts have shown),
because the context-sensitive connection is different if you are
producing WinHelp, HTML Help, WebHelp, JavaHelp, Oracle Help, or
FlashHelp. All are viable outputs from RoboHelp. (And, if she's using
RoboHelp HTML, remove WinHelp from that list.)

I actually understood Bill's response better than I understood the
original question.

<snip -- list manager says I cannot quote the entire message>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com