Professionalism on lists + apology

Subject: Professionalism on lists + apology
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:31:55 -0400

> If you see a certain list member who always answers questions to the
> best of their ability, you can see that that person is helpful!
> You can learn from the participation in a mailing list if a person is
> proficient in specific tools.
> Later on, if you have to interview that person, you already know
> something about the prospective candidate (knowledgeable about
> FrameMaker, seems to know about help systems, willing to share their
> knowledge etc. ) I would definitely be more interested in interviewing
> a familiar name who had given a good impression on a mailing list. (I
> think that people have to work quite hard to give a bad impression
> though)
>
> On the other hand, in today's world of Gmail, not everyone is who they
> seem to be!

Well, I don't see Gmail as being any different than any other e-mail
service. Anonymity and identity spoofing in electronic environments
have been around for, well, how long has e-mail (in one form or
another) been around? 40+ years? ;-)

I know this whole topic came up after my seemingly nasty e-mail reply
to someone looking for help. I'm sorry some people took it the wrong
way, but it wasn't intended to be nasty.

I've been on this list for a long time (since 1998), I belong to many
other lists, and I run/moderate some as well. It is not uncommon for
someone to post a completely vague question to lists. Some days I'm
good about following up with these postings, and other days I seem to
come across wrong. The only correlation I see is that on days I come
across wrong, I'm usually quite busy.

Some brought up that I could have just said nothing at all, but in all
honesty, I was willing to help this person. My reply for more info
just came out wrong. I guess I'm human.

Anyhow, my apologies for causing such a stir last week (though I find
it amazing that it caused this much discussion).

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com