Re: Measuring results with your WBTs

Subject: Re: Measuring results with your WBTs
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:44:51 -0400

Are you talking about beyond pre-tests and post-tests? I have been able to make it very clear to clients that the WBT has had an effect by comparing pre-tests (before the student attempts the course) with post-tests (immediately after course completion) and interval post-tests (after 3 months or 6 months, etc.). You can give the exact same test, or test for the same information in different formats so that you avoid the rote memory factor.

You can also collect anecdotal data by surveying course participants. Ask them if they feel they gained anything, what they gained, have they been more effective on the job, etc. This could then expand into compiling KPIs (Key Performance Indicators). You could ask supervisors if trainees' performance on key areas that you train for, and even other business critical areas such as communication, have improved. Obtaining data from both the trainees and supervisors balances the results somewhat. If you have a trainee who felt as though they got a lot out of the training, but the supervisor hasn't seen improvement in KPIs, then the training may have been enjoyable for the individual but doesn't translate into a performance gain. That may or may not be the fault of the training itself, and would need further review.

Cheers,
--Beth

Christian -dot- Walters -at- cox -dot- com wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to think of measurable ways to judge how effective our WBTs
are. For those of you familiar with six sigma, we're trying to be sure
we're in control :)

But I'm not sure what the best metric would be. At least, which metric
would be practical to gather on a monthly basis -- I think something
like job effectiveness would be great, but it's tough to gather.

We currently track the number of courses launch, completed, and passed.
Have any of you been down this path before, and can think of anything
else? They don't have to be as easy to gather as the ones we do now, but
they should be something plausible. :)

Any ideas?

Thanks y'all!

Christian