Job titles and group name

Subject: Job titles and group name
From: techwhrl -at- helpinghand -dot- mailshell -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:40:49 -0600

My company is about to consolidate all IT tech writers into it's Project
Management Office. I am the only employee, but we have several
contractors. While I do not want to manage the group, I am in a position
to influence the selection of the group's name and it's organizational
structure. I'm wondering what the current trend is in this area. My boss
and I had previously agreed on Technical Communications for the group
name. As for job titles, we need to create a career path, which was done
about 2 years ago, but needs to be revisited. For job titles, it seems
that the majority of folks are listed as "technical writers" and I have
seen the positions going from Tech Writer I to Tech Writer IV and then
Documentation Manager. Is this the usual hierarchy today? Also, does
anyone have a senior non-supervisory position that serves as a consultant,
coach, or technical lead for the junior writers, in addition to doing
actual writing? If so, what do you call that position?

Star
techwhrl.at.helpinghand.mailshell.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com