Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 03:32:54 -0700

>>Edwin Skau wrote:
>>Infomap users swear by the system, not unlike Amway evangelists.

>To me it's just a way to structure topics, I'll drop it if I find
>something better. How do you structure topics, Eddy?

.Wouter

---------

InfoMapping is ONE way to stucture content. There are others. Some
more apt in specific contexts. While I do not stock up on examples,
some alternatives are illustrated at this link:
http://www.jeanweber.com/howto/alt-para.htm.

Since I came across the concept years ago, I have read about the
system extensively, and studied artefacts created using the system.
Some of our customers used the system, and I saw it in action. The
only original aspect of the system, in my opinion, is the explicit
combination of traditional writing and layout principles, in a system
that purports to marry structure with context. Unfortunately,
although it is widely successful, it's one-size-fits-all approach
occasionaly falls short of being acceptable in some cases.

And in any case, in our line of work, Context (not structure) is premium.

The biggest benefit from InfoMapping is that it helps non-writers
churn out much better content almost overnight. And I have recommend
the system where I have seen potential for improvement.
Good-to-excellent writers, however, manage to churn out information
in structures that match the context much better.

InfoMapping would be a great boon for companies that outsource their
documentation to offshore resources. The more writing moves away from
requiring individual skill towards being dictated by a system or
methodology, the more conducive that situation is for offshoring to
lesser talent.

- eddy

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com