First impressions (was: salary for entry level position)

Subject: First impressions (was: salary for entry level position)
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:13:46 -0400

Sankara,

We were both discussion initial or external impressions. I was refererring specifically to clothes and cars. You don't have to know people well to realize that their H2s are a waste of gasoline, destructive to the environment, and an impractical choice of vehicle.

IMO, You should never judge a person on their salary. Someone may work for, say, Children's Hospital for 35k a year whereas they could easily work for Giant Corp for 70k a year. Working at the Nonprofit they have more societal value than as an overpaid corporate robot. In fact, they probably get more accomplished, have more creativity, and receive much encouragement to move forward in their careers.

If I were a recruiter with the choice between two people, one who worked at each of the above locations, I'd go with the one who accomplished the most. Not the one with the best salaray (car, clothes, etc).

Of course, all this is hypothetical. If you are going to judge someone on a first impression, you really should use something more meaningful than their salary. Like maybe their hairstyle. (Yes, that's a joke.)

Arroxane