Re: The Bible in Tech Comm

Subject: Re: The Bible in Tech Comm
From: "Simon North" <sintac -at- home -dot- nl>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:02:08 +0200

> The ten commandments might pass the litmus test, but then I'm sure someone
> will bring up the quasi-religious 7 +/-2 rule. ;)

I'm not so sure about that either. If you, as a technical comunicator (putting all religion aside)
were to set down to tabulate 10 golden rules for leading a good life ... couldn't you do a little bit
better than the lame ones that most Christians use?

Besides that (and the fact that the Jews have 623 laws), to quote a more authoritative source.
There are three versions

<quote>
" .. mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures (a.k.a. Old Testament). All are different.
They are at Exodus 20:2-17, Exodus 34:12-26, and Deuteronomy 5:6-21. The version
in Exodus 20 is by far the most commonly cited.

Depending upon how Ten Commandments are interpreted, the Exodus 20 version
contain a total of 19 to 25 separate instructions. These have been traditionally sorted into
ten groups. Unfortunately, various faith groups sort them differently. This makes inter-
faith dialog very difficult at times, and can cause conflicts over which version of the
Decalogue is to be displayed."

</quote>

And before anyone comes back with an ad hominem attack, I happen to be the son of a
Roman Catholic priest (don't ask).

Simon.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com