Re: Need Advice on Online Authoring Tools

Subject: Re: Need Advice on Online Authoring Tools
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:33:33 -0400

I think if you settle on Frame to manage your print (and .pdfs),
you'll find that Mif2Go offers you more options and control than
Webworks, although each help-gen package has its advocates.
Fortunately, a "standard" version of Webworks ships with FM, and
Mif2Go is available as a trial download so you can try them both out
without paying for the opportunity.

In either case, the amount of tweaking is directly proportional to how
cute you want to get with your UI and various bells and whistles. If
you generate pretty much plain vanilla help though, you can refine
either the Webworks or Mif2Go templates to eliminate most, if not all,
hand tweaking.

Frame's demise has been over-anticipated for several years, but Adobe
just shipped a point release, so it's alive and well on Windows and
UNIX. Adobe has also implied that some kind of announcement is to be
made at this November's annual FM get-together.

Art

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com