Re: Blogs replace newsletters?

Subject: Re: Blogs replace newsletters?
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:21:53 +0200 (CEST)

I like newsletters because they bundle content, sometimes an issue is even themed, giving
different angles on a single topic.
A blog entry is only one angle.

What I increasingly finde when I'm reading articles is that I really long for the ability to
comment on them. Not per e-mail, but with a publicly visible comment attached to the article.

So, my suggestion would be this: Send out your newsletter as HTML-Mail. Simultaneously put it up
to a website and split the newsletter into one page per article with a central and linked table of
content. Add to each article a comment function. Add a comment link at the bottom of each article
in the HTML-newsletter as well.

Voilà, the best of all worlds - newsletter sitting in the inbox and the ability to instill a
dialogue around an article.

What do you think of this?

Jens

<zitiere wer="Milan Davidovic">

> --- Kelley Greenman <writinglists -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hurray for things that you can read while
>> unplugged!
>
> Amen to that. But in case it wasn't clear enough in my
> first description, the proposed transition is from a
> newsletter that's Web-based. More specifically, an
> HTML newsletter comes in to your Inbox. The newsletter
> has some complete short pieces; for other articles,
> there's a headline, a lead, and a link that takes you
> to the full article on the group's Web site.
>
> To me, the transition from this to a blog looks
> loss-free, with gains to be had (as already pointed
> out). But I'm interested in other points of view.
>
> Thanks for the replies so far...
>
> --Milan

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com