RE: A PDA in every pocket?

Subject: RE: A PDA in every pocket?
From: "Jayaseelan Pannirselvam" <jayaseelan -dot- pannirselvam -at- ite -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:19:19 +1000

While listing the "cons" of a PDA, Joe Marlin hinted that the Palm PDA
could be "fading into the sunset". I just hope that that's so not true.
Just some four months back I gifted myself (for no apparent reason)
PalmOne's latest (and if you ask me, its "kewlest") version, LifeDrive.
For the kind of money I make sitting here in Chennai, India, it sure is
an obscenely expensive toy; it set me back by nearly more than half my
monthly paycheck. And sure enough, my family and friends thought I was
crazy. But what the hey, I'm deeply in love with it and while I may
forget my American Express credit card, I don't leave home without my
PDA.

Some of the kewl things that I use my PDA for are:

* To read my Bible anytime, anywhere - I've loaded Olive Tree's suite of
PDA Bible versions on to my LifeDrive. I especially like its split
screen feature which helps me compare KJV with the German 1912 Luther
version. (My German, which I was using extensively for professional
translation purposes some years back, has started rusting. So dipping
into the German Bible on my PDA every now and then helps me remember, if
not the language's nuances, at least the fact that I used to know German
quite well.) My only regret is that I can't load the Tamil version of
the Bible.
* To listen to my favourite songs and podcasts (which includes the
Motley Fool Radio show on NPR and radioplays from the Focus on the
Family stable)
* To catch up on the latest international news (which downloads on to my
PDA when I sync it up with my Internet-enabled home computer)
* To keep track of current time in different timezones where my family
is spread out
* To do some instant conversions - Celsius to Fahrenheit, Pounds to
Kilos etc.
* To keep track of the things I need to do
* To remind me of the birthdays of my nephews and other relatives and to
maintain their contact details

There's a whole lot of other things I'm sure I can do with my PDA; but I
guess they'll have to wait till I've balanced my budget to get hold of
the relevant softwares.

You'd have noticed from the above that the tech writer animal in me
*can* live without a PDA, so it certainly is an expensive toy for me.

About the only time I used my PDA to help with my work was when I
recorded what one of our Executive Directors dictated over the phone
half a globe away. The stuff that he dictated to our team needed to go
into a presentation for a prospective client. We were all rushed for
time, and he probably didn't have access to his email, so he called our
team via conference mode and started dictating. When our writing
couldn't keep pace with his dictation, I fished out my PDA and put it
into record mode. We are now quite close to clinching that client order
and I'd like to credit my PDA for it. :)

All this may sound like a plug for PalmOne's LifeDrive and may have made
very little sense to you where you are, probably a world away from where
I am. It's just that I'm one happy and contented PDA user and couldn't
resist gushing about it when I saw this thread.

Cheers,

Jayaseelan

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com