Re: Visual SourceSafe for Documentation Source Control

Subject: Re: Visual SourceSafe for Documentation Source Control
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:46:23 -0400

Katherine Turner wrote:

The company are reluctant to spend very much money on buying new source
control software specifically for documentation.

IMHO, you have two sales jobs ahead of you. First, you need to sell management on the benefits of source control for documentation. It sounds like they aren't convinced you even need one. Sarbanes-Oxley and the potential for lawsuits due to erroneous misinformation resulting from poor document control seems to be two good reasons for convincing them. Second, as for the document control system; unfortunately, my only experience is with CVS in an ISO9000 environment. It worked, but since I had no control over it's purchase or implementation, I can't help you on this subject. However, I think once you convince management of the need for a document control system, you will be better able to determine which one is the best for you, because that decision will be based on budget as much as need. Who knows, they may even help you with the selection parameters.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com