Re: RoboHelp 9.1 - Upgradable to X5? Flare?

Subject: Re: RoboHelp 9.1 - Upgradable to X5? Flare?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:22:22 -0400

> So, yes, Macromedia is "selling" Robohelp. And, TECHNICALLY, they are
> "providing support". I suppose the problem here is in how one defines
> "support". Being told by a major software company that the s/w you just
> purchased was "acquired" by them and therefore not their problem, is not
> my definition of support.

Fair enough. I don't use RoboHelp and have no interest in the product.
I was just passing along what I know to be true from Macromedia's
public statements. Of course, the person who made those statements
isn't in charge of RoboHelp anymore, either.

I don't quite understand it all, but it makes very little sense for a
company like Macromedia to just bag a product with such a large
footprint. I can understand an exit strategy if they don't want to
support the product, but to just cut its resources and minimalize its
support like you indicated - while still selling the product - is just
wrong.

I have to wonder how many RoboHelp users there are out there and how
many are happy with this arrangement. My guess is "quite a lot, and
too few" in that order...

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736