Re: techwr-l digest: October 25, 2005

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: October 25, 2005
From: wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:19:54 -0700 (PDT)

I've used VSS for document control for over 4
years now. I've never had an accidental deletion
that could not be restored. This, in an
environment with many writers and engineers all
using the same VSS database.

Not only are there several levels of access,
there are also ways to restrict specific folders
to specific users. Your Configuration Manager
should be the VSS admin, if at all possible.

Now, realize I've used this while gaining both
CMM Level 3 certification and CMMI Level 3
certification. Our one complaint is not being
able to use it via the web yet; however, the
newest update due out soon is supposed to allow
that access. I assure you VSS is a highly
reliable and workable solution. Especially as
you already have it and are paying for it.

I believe you can have more than one database set
up if you need to separate your organization from
the rest of the company. We discussed this at
one point and decided to have separate site VSS
and HQ VSS until we can get HQ web-enabled.

We are headed down the ISO 9001:2000 road now and
our VSS is a great asset.

Good luck,

Faye

> On 10/25/05, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The biggest problem with VSS and similar
> *version* control databases
> > like CVS is the lack of user-level access
> control. Everyone who has
> > access to the files contained in these has
> the ability to change or delet=
> > all the files, as opposed to a true
> document/source control system
> > that can be set to grant different users
> different levels of access to
> > specific
> > data.
>

> Subject: Re: Visual SourceSafe for
> Documentation Source Control
> From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:31:53 -0700

> Our company had numerous instances of
> accidental deletions and
> overwrites of source files until we began
> moving the final versions of
> projects out of VSS and into a fully secure
> document control system.
> It may not be obvious to the day-to-day user,
> but VSS does not have
> controls to ensure that deleted files are not
> purged from its database so
> that they can always be undeleted, or to ensure
> that renamed files will
> always be linked to their previous named
> versions to preserve their
> histories.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

http://farechase.yahoo.com