RE: Maintaining a common set of web site links

Subject: RE: Maintaining a common set of web site links
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:29:21 -0700 (PDT)

> What exactly are you using to synchronize your LT and DT?

Hi, Dan...For several years I've been using a program called CheckIt
Fastmove from Smith Micro Software...I think it cost me $49 about 5
years ago. What I like about it is that I can create profiles that
pair directories. The directory pairs can be on on the same computer,
two computers connected in a workgroup or through a parallel cable,
or over a network. I get two window panes, one for each location,
with an arrow showing which side has the latest version.

I use it for a number of functions. Note...all of these
configurations are pre-configured, all I do is select each one from a
menu and forget about it.

- Developers place all TS/FS documents on a shared drive (last count,
there was over 7 GB of files), but I like to keep them local so I can
access them any time. Every morning I sync to that directory which
immediately tells me if they've made any changes anywhere in the
directory strructure and brings only the changed documents to a
matched hierarchy of folders my local drive..never takes more than 10
minutes.

- Every evening, last thing before shutting down, I sync my working
directory between my desktop (DT) with my laptop (LT)...both machines
have matching foder hierarchy. I now know I have a complete set of
docs on my LT and all links are retained. After I do any work that
night, in the morning I sync the other way and I now know my DT is up
to date with the previous night's work...takes about 5 minutes?.

- Every other day, I sync to my workspace on the network and copy my
working directories to the workspace which is backed up by network
services. I could copy the whole directory, but by only moving files
that have changed, it takes me less time.

I also use it for other random functions that happen on a day to day
basis. I'm sure there are other programs that do this...the main
thing isn't what I use...it's that I do it consistently and regularly.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than
anybody else has."