RE: front matter in manuals

Subject: RE: front matter in manuals
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:39:31 -0800

I don't put that sort of section in.

I do put in a preface that contains typographical conventions and
formats.

I also make the first chapter an introduction, stating the manual's
purpose, audience, and "prerequisities". That last category states what
I think the reader's background should be.

Perhaps nobody reads this stuff. I do it for *myself*, to make my
assumptions explicit. If nothing else, the reviewers will understand
what I'm trying to accomplish. They may correct me, of course, but I
believe in making all communications explicit.

I kinda think that mebbe people will take my work more seriously if it
looks like a real book and not just some fluff that came with the box.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.