Re: Best graphics format to import into Power Point

Subject: Re: Best graphics format to import into Power Point
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:40:06 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

Images should be jpegs. But let's be clear. I'm using the word image to
refer to photos and other continuous tone pictures, as distinct from
drawings/diagrams/charts made up of lines and solid-color areas. For
these, the answer varies depending on the tool used to create them. But
EMF or WMF seems to work best in PowerPoint, with GIF and PNG a weak
second choice.

I'm interested in the reasoning behind this advice. Generally if you
are inserting the image into an Office application (common use) the
app consumes the image and displays a JPG rendering of it for screen
viewing and a PNG or WMF (depending on whether it was raster or vector
originally) copy of it for print output.

Bill,

I suppose it depends on the details. In situations where the PPT has a non-white background, bringing in anything that has transparency defined (GIF, PNG, clipping path EPS) is problematic unless it is first converted to EMF. If you're just using a rectangular figure on a white background, then it probably doesn't matter what format you start with--especially if you're pasting as opposed to importing. Working from, say, Illustrator to PowerPoint, I find that saving as EMF works and pretty much nothing else works as well. Going the other direction, Copy/Paste works as well as anything.

BAD IDEA. NEVER let sales reps do ANYTHING to a PowerPoint presentation.
However, if you insist, at least make sure that you have "Lock aspect
ration" checked so they can't easily distort the picture.

<sarcasm> Yes, never teach others to fish. Always ensure you have
plenty of small jobs to do at work. </sarcasm> If you couldn't tell, I
disagree with this advice whole-heartedly. Teach them the right way to
do things, explain why, explain it will make them look better (sales
people generally love ways to improve their image - helps make that
next sale), and offer to review their PPTs for a while to see if they
understand the process correctly.

You can disagree all you want. Having beaten my head against that particular wall for over six years on my last job, I'm enured to the pain and your sarcsm stingeth not. You can teach one sales rep in twenty to use PowerPoint halfway intelligently. The people who gravitate to and are good at sales seem to be of a personality type that causes them to resist that kind of learning. I'll gladly teach engineers all day long, though. YMMV.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com