Re: Editorial/Press Release - What are some points to consider while writing?

Subject: Re: Editorial/Press Release - What are some points to consider while writing?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:48:49 -0500

Hi Jennifer,

Always remember....people relate to people and customers don't buy specifications, they buy solutions.

Having worked as a magazine publisher, business reporter, newspaper editor, technical writer and marketing manager, I don't think I've ever consciously used the "inverted pyramid" when writing a news report, feature article or press release. The reality is you have to write an opener that will convince the reader to go to the next paragraph and so on. Sometimes, that may mean not putting all the boring facts up front. However, with that said you do need to know your audience. A clincher opening that tingles a software developer might make a hardware engineer gag. Adding to what Beth said, make your press release something more than the dry formula releases churned out by most companies. The releases we did at my last company often started with anecdotes from actual end users on some problem they faced. (My favorite was the sound engineer complaining about having to hide the microphones on the costumes worn on "Desperate Housewives.") The rest of the release focused how they used our product to solve that problem, ensuring that the products benefits were highlighted in the solution. Add a picture or two and you have something that will get an editor's attention and getting the editor's attention is how you get the press release published.

Another thing to keep in the back of your mind is the length of your press release. Keep them short and concise without loosing the excitement, and make sure you include the URL to your corporate website where all the detailed information can be found.

Above all, think like your consumer. "If I buy this product, how will it help me? WIll is make my job easier? Will it save my company money? Will it solve my problem?" If you've done your job right, some of those readers out there will call your sales staff for more information, and maybe even buy the product.

Just don't write it like a TW and you'll be fine.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com