Re: Slashes in abbreviations

Subject: Re: Slashes in abbreviations
From: Jenn Wilson <jenn -at- mylar -dot- outflux -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:33:25 -0800 (PST)

Many thanks to all who responded!

Based on results here and from other folks I've asked, it does appear that slashes are widely accepted for those accounting terms, whether or not they're stylistically appropriate per our standard. I'll probably go with keeping them for A/R, A/P, and G/L, but not for terms like "sales orders."

As for "getting with the program" and having "trite" conversations with my company president, I should probably have offered more context. We're a small, not-quite-conventional company. The president was our lead software architect for many years before he assumed his current position (and, for better or worse, still is). This sparring match we're involved in is a friendly and productive one.

I'm in charge of style and writing standards (among other things) for our growing company, and as I put much-needed structure into place, I'm encouraged to question things I think are incorrect. This particular item is part of my goal to clean up our interfaces and make them more consistent. (At present, slash usage for such terms is at about half-and-half in our screens, which drives me batty.)

My intent here was to request casual input from others who might have seen one convention or the other. But hey, I do appreciate the extra advice. In a more typical writing environment, it would certainly apply.

Jenn

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com