Re: From WORD 2003 to Adobe PDF (Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard ver)

Subject: Re: From WORD 2003 to Adobe PDF (Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard ver)
From: mandywells -at- gmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:33:49 -0700

> I have a large, System Design document (537 pgs and still being worked).
> I need to be delivering to the client electronic PDFs and, in WORD '03,
> 5 color hardcopies.
> I just tried doing this and seemed to put the WORD document into cardiac
> arrest. Actually, I got this processing gas gauge and it sat there for
> sometime, so I cancelled.

Hi Peggy
I have several documents at least that large and all cross-referenced
like crazy as well. Here's what I've found makes PDFfing them
possible:

1. On the Acrobat PDF Maker dialog (Adobe PDF> Change Conversion
Settings) ensure that, under Application Settings, "Enable
accessibility and reflow with tagged PDF" is NOT checked. Turning this
setting off makes the biggest difference. And if you don't need
bookmarks or hyperlinks, turn them off as well--they eat up huge
processing power.

2. If you do need hyperlinks, on the Word tab of the dialog, make sure
only the ones you need--probably "Convert cross-references and table of
contents to hyperlinks"--are selected.

3. Make sure Adobe is selected as your default system printer. This
keeps the page set up from going wonky.

4. Turn off any screen savers or anything else that's CPU-intensive.

And as Geoff suggested, keep the Task Manager running, with the tasks
organized by clicking the CPU to show you what's using gas. If WinWord
is still running, it's still making your PDF, even if the Applications
tab says it's not responding. Just go get a coffee and be patient. You
may want to get some cards do you can play Solitaire the old-fashioned
way ;-)
Good luck, and remember--there are just some docs that put the f-ing in
PDFfing
Mandy

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com