Re: Contract-Style Capitalization

Subject: Re: Contract-Style Capitalization
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:32:58 +0530

Hi,

If the example is also a sample of the kind of content your manual
includes (what kind of "manual" is this anyway?) the capitalization
seems appropriate to that domain.

If your audience profile is closer to that of your writers than
yourself, then they understand this convention even though you and
your'n may find it a little "specialized".

I'd suggest distilling the usage into style guidelines to ensure
consistenty application across the document(s).

-edwin

> I am editing a manual, and the writers use a capitalization convention
> that is derived from contracts. The following is an example:
>
> **The Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) is the maximum amount that the
> Owner is obligated to pay the Contractor for the construction of the
> project pursuant to a defined scope of work and schedule. The GMP Change
> Order is the instrument that fixes this price after much of the
> preconstruction work is finished. By design, the amount of the GMP
> Change Order cannot exceed the Stated Cost Limitation (SCL) for
> construction. In other words, the Owner cannot authorize the Contractor
> to spend more money than what is available. The GMP Proposal is an offer
> made by the Contractor to facilitate the GMP Change Order.**
>
> If the writer wants this convention included in the manual, should I
> interfere? Or is this capitalization correct? It seems out of the
> ordinary to me and would be difficult to maintain throughout a complex
> manual. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> Kirk

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com