Re: career path in the third and fourth decades?

Subject: Re: career path in the third and fourth decades?
From: "Elaine" <2egarnet -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:21:34 -0500

This is a little bit off-topic but here goes. I found out at the age of 45 (after taking time off to raise a young son) that my employability had hit ground level. After some brief stints at positions related to technology (sales, design, etc.), I cashed in my chips and started my own business writing documents for R&D tax credits and grants. My income is now much higher than in my 20's to 40's. As a consultant, the ripe age of 57 years and grey hair seem to carry some weight.

My advice to those of you who hit the ceiling (and it's not so much a glass ceiling as a thick layer of men) would be to consider a little out-of-the-box thinking and never, never stop learning new skills.

My own private beast was a fear of men in three piece suits. So, when I started my business, I networked ad infinitum and found that these corporate biggies were just as nervous and ignorant as I was. It helped my confidence tremendously, to the point that I can now ask for what I want. Or, maybe it's a function of being an old crone. I don't know.

Elaine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Bosworth" <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>