Re: career path in the third and fourth decades?

Subject: Re: career path in the third and fourth decades?
From: Monica Cellio <cellio -at- pobox -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:59:55 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm going to wait to make more
detailed responses, but I want to clarify a couple points now since
people have raised good questions.

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Dick Margulis wrote:
> The word _career_ carries a lot of baggage in a twenty-first-century
> postindustrial economy. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt
> and assume that all you mean is that you expect to have to work to
> support yourself for at least that many years--not an unrealistic
> assumption.

Correct. I'm not looking for status and prestige; it's about meeting
current needs and funding a comfortable retirement. If I could keep
doing what I'm doing and get cost-of-living raises, that'd be fine --
but there comes a point where younger folks will be cheaper and while
I'm good, I may be better than an employer actually feels he needs.
Hence the "do I need to be doing something different?" question.

While I'd like to be able to retire earlier, I currently expect to have
to remain employed until close to the conventional retirement age to
make that work out.

> I've got a pretty good idea of how the first 20-odd years of a
> > tech-writing career can play out,
>
> WOW!!! Can I discuss my stock portfolio with you?

Well, I said "can", not "always do", and that's from the perspective
of having lived it and having peers in my "bracket". I hadn't considered
that tech-writing as a field might be new enough to not have many (or
any) 40-year veterans; that's a good point.

Monica