Extreme Programming / Agile Development and documentation - Continued

Subject: Extreme Programming / Agile Development and documentation - Continued
From: "HSC Italian" <twins398 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:12:07 -0600

Hello,

I want to thank everyone who responded to my initial post. All the feedback was very helpful. From the feedback I received I've summed up that User Stories and/or Use Cases should house what a requirement spec used to house. Is that correct? I guess I'm still lost as to where Documentation comes in. How am I to gather data when there is no written spec identifyng the changes to the product? The User Stories for this project are far from being comprehensive. They are a bunch of scribble the developers came up with that make sense to them only.

When the project I am working on initially started the developers and Product Manager told me all I'd need to document this firmware project to operate printers would be available on the Wiki pages. I learned that was false. In the iteration meetings as I gathered my data and asked questions I was always directed to either a document on of the developers or product managers wrote on this product or I was told to talk to one of my SMEs. I did just that. Now I am being told I (the tech writer who is on five projects at the moment, need to be the SME). YIKES! Not possible!

I am very frustrated and need to get facts to show management that this method of working was created for developers, not TechPubs/Documentation. I need to propose a solution to the problem I see with this process and hope that someone out there and guide me to some resources I can go to to gather facts and offer a solution. I am working with one of our quality engineers who is confirming that this method does not work for techpubs, but if I could get articles, Web sites, books, something that supports my concerns and offers a solution, that would be fantastic.

Thanks much,

Heidi