Editing Question--Punch list or Punchlist?

Subject: Editing Question--Punch list or Punchlist?
From: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:35:55 -0500

I know that this is a small point, but is the word "punchlist" (punch
list?) one word or two? I've looked at the usual references, and it
seems that "punch list" is correct; however, one or two authoritative
sources affirm "punchlist" as correct. As an aside, Word indicates that
punchlist is incorrect, which I guess means . . .

More importantly, every single architect and construction manager in the
company uses "punchlist," and they should know, right? I'm not going to
edit their use to "punch list" unless I'm pretty doggone sure that it is
right.

And at the end of the day, if there is no authoritative usage that is
consistent, shouldn't I just leave it alone? I wouldn't care, but it is
used about 30 times throughout a new manual.

Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks,
Kirk Turner