Help & Manual questions.

Subject: Help & Manual questions.
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:03:53 -0500

I'm working on a project where the contractor wants to move into single sourcing. The staff is heavy with database developers who have limited knowledge of MS Word and even less knowledge of PageMaker, InDesign, FrameMaker or most of the image manipulation tools. (The use Word Draw for image call outs and that's about it.) I'm cleaning up an operating manual that was created by several developers under extreme deadline pressure, and as a result of my work, both the project manager and the QA manager have realized the need additional training on Word. However that is not my main problem.....they also want to use my work as a foundation for an online Help. Furthermore, they want me to find a single source tool, learn it, move the Word manual to it and train them on how to use the new tool and maintain the documentation. This is a non-profit organization with a limited capital expense budget. As I said, they also have limited knowledge of Word and most desktop publishing programs. What they need has to be simple to grasp and relatively easy to use.

A few months ago, someone mentioned Help & Manual from EC Software as a cost effective option to both RoboHelp and Web Works Publisher (Word version). Their web site touts it as the answer to my prayers, but I also write marketing content, so......

Does anyone have any experience with this product and what are your impressions? Is it a good bang for the buck, or is it just inexpensive.

Thanks

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang